Sunday, February 19, 2012

Staging Legos

Legos just might be a girls best friend. In our house anyway. I am not sure what prompted Emma to stage and photograph her Legos, but that is what she did today. 

Her first photo




This is when Emma asked me to come see what she was doing. I asked her if she would like some back drops for her photos. 

I also really wanted to get a picture of her photographing her Legos so I gave her an old 35mm (with film) camera and had her take a few pics. 

She really wasn't a fan of the tiny view finder. Technology, aint it grand?

Providing a spear for this Lego man

At this point I just sat back and enjoyed the show. 





Umm, those aren't Legos. 

This, apparently, was the final battle (and photo). 
 

The other thing of interested from today (other than the fact that I ended up taking a 3 hour nap and that I will now be awake until 2 a.m) is that Emma read me a book tonight.

One of my favorite things about our library is their website. I can search through the library's book collection on-line, and reserve any of the books that catch my eye. Don't get me wrong, I love wandering up and down the isles of books, pulling out a random book here and there, but not when Emma is with me. She gets ansty, complains, asks, "When can we go to my section?" about 20 times a minute. So, I prefer to reserve my books on-line and have them waiting for me when I get there. Emma knows our first stop is to pick up our reserved books, then head to the kids section. At this point, I sit and look through the books to decide if I really want to take them home, while Emma searches for books that she would like.

When we went to the library on Thursday, Emma was drawn to the bin of board books. Seeing as she likes to listen to books that are geared towards kids who are 8 and older (we are currently listening to Inkdeath, the third in the Inkheart Trilogy), I figured she should also be able to read/listen to the books geared towards kids 3 and under. Plus, I got to sit in the super comfy extra wide glider rocker to look through my books while she searched for hers.

A sneakier reason for letting her pick out board books is that they typical have easy words, and not very many of them. When confronted with any book other than an easy reader, she will tell me that she can't read, and she believes it. Won't even try. So, I thought maybe a few simple books would help boost her confidence.

Here are the three we read tonight.  

This is from 'Cuddly Animal,' which Emma read to me.

Beautiful Babies (A Horse!)

Now if only she would stop telling me (and herself) that she can't read...


7 comments:

Misty Brown said...

Love the pic's she did. The children’s museum here has an activity center for stop gap animation, my kids could have spent hours there. So fun. We might have to see if the 'little people' here want to be stars too.

Tina said...

My sister-in-law called yesterday to see if Emma wanted to try the stop gap animation. Apparently she knows how to do it and has the software for it. I am pretty excited to see how it turns out :)

Mandy said...

Very cool photos! My son, who is now 8, has been photographing his stuffed animals and his Legos for years. Are you familiar with Lego quest? Your daughter might enjoy that!

momto5 said...

hi! i am visiting from OLM. those pictures are great! my brother and i use to do that when we were kids. i looove legos!
my middle son (who is 10) just started really finally trusting himself with reading. we have this box/bin full of "early readers" i picked up a goodwills and used bookstores that were topics that interested him and slowly he got into it. he is really into reading "calvin and hobbes" comics right now.

Tina said...

Mandy, I checked out the LEGO Quest thing. It does look pretty cool and when the next challenge comes up, I will ask Emma if she wants to give it a try.

Momto5- Emma really enjoys comics as well, though she likes them to be read to her :) Last year we were really into the Bone series by Jeff Smith. We also have a collection of Calvin and Hobbes, I might have to see if she would like them.

Jessica Allen said...

Hi, I'm stopping in from OLM...

My son is just beginning to take his own photos (isn't it great to see them in action--choosing their subjects, etc.).

And of course, the Lego love!

Tina said...

Jessica,
Sometimes the best part of my day is when I sit down to upload the photos and I realize that Emma has been busy taking photos. My favorites are the self portraits (like the one at the top of the site).