Thursday, January 20, 2011

Photo Assignment #1

Hi its Emma. I did my first PA (photo assignment).


Yes, Emma did type that. Yes, it took a really long time, but whatever, it got her interested in sounding out and spelling words. She also got a mini typing lesson. She is still sitting in my lap snuggling with me. Normally she would be in bed now, but after gymnastics today, she was exhausted and ended up taking a longer/ later nap than I would have liked. 


Oh well.


We printed up Emma's Photo Assignment #1 this morning during breakfast and posted it on the fridge. We then spent most of the day out and about, so Emma never got a chance to discover the list on her own.

A very busy day for us=
1. New battery for the car. Check
2. Adjustable shelving tracks and brackets for Emma's room. Check
3. Staples for some wanted but not necessarily needed supplies. Check
4. Gymnastics for Emma (where she actually participated and did great!). Check
5. Lunch with Da. Check


Then we finally went home. We jumped right into putting up the shelves, and Emma helped me with the stud finder (she loves the noises it makes), as well as measuring and marking. Then she got board and played with her doll for a while. 


Emma got hungry, so she had a snack of pretzels and 5 M&M's. She was unhappy about the small number of M&M's and pouted about it for far longer then I was happy with. She even started to cry a few times, which is when I had her lay down. Nothing drives me crazy faster then a whiny child. The plan was to let her sleep for about 20 minutes, then wake her up.

She was NOT ready to wake up after 20 minutes. So, I decided to let tonight be a late night and let her nap a bit longer. She apparently needed it.

After another 20 minutes, I tried waking her up again and this time instead of tears and anger, she was just out of it. I asked if she would like to help me with dinner or watch some Curious George. She chose George, which was fine with me. It helped her to wake up.

I was still cooking (making a few meals at once takes a little longer, but is really worth it) when George was done, so I asked her if she would like to do a photo assignment.

She was very interested so I showed her the list and explained to her how it works. She jumped right in and started reading the first word, which was 'wall'.

She flew through the first list and really enjoyed it.

Dinner wasn't quite ready and Da was still a few minutes from home, so I asked if she would like to do another list.

"YES!" was her reply.

I should have quit while she was really enjoying it.

She did well for the first few but then started to get bored. She read all the words on the second list but decided 'shin' and 'heel' where boring so crossed them off the list and didn't take any pictures of them.

Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

Anyway, I think she really enjoyed the Photo Assignment, but I think one a week (maybe Photo Assignment Friday) would be plenty. Anything more then that and I think it might just get old.

And... Jared has Friday's off from school so it might be fun to incorporate PA's into field trips once a month.

Well, it is time to read some Bella Sara before bed. We are on book #3, and there are currently 11, so we had best get to reading!

Here are the photos from the two PA's she did today. You can find the lists here. Hope you have a great weekend!






















p.s. I am headed out of town on Saturday. Unless I can convince Gramma or Da to post, it may be quite for a bit, but I will catch you up when I get home. Who knows, with Gramma around, Emma may be reading when I get back :)

No comments: